St John’s Sunshine is a Registered Society, owned and run by its members for the benefit of local people and communities. It has 6 core objectives, listed within its Rules:
- To generate low carbon energy.
- To distribute grants and aid to people primarily within Old Trafford that benefit the community or the environment.
- To act responsibly and in a way that balances the benefits to society, the environment and the local economy.
- To explore means that reduce our environmental impacts and encourage others to do so.
- To encourage the local community to engage with issues that reflect society, the environment and economic matters in a balanced way.
- To provide the people of Old Trafford and beyond an opportunity to invest in options that fulfill the above.
The story so far… we have some solar electric (photovoltaic or PV) panels on the roof of St John’s Church and have launched and successfully closed a community share offer. We’ve installed a fancy display monitor in the St John’s Centre (with help from Unicorn Grocery) and issued two lots of Sunshine Grants, voted on by our members. We held a comedy auction (and other other events) to launch Phase 2 (see below), and issued SEIS certificates to investor members who can now get a whopping 50% tax relief on their shares. Phew. In Feb 2015 we raised the cash for Phase 2 and now have a 10kW in place
New for 2015/16… we are looking to:
- More Sunshine grants
- Explore more PV panels and solar water system to go on the roof of the Centre